Monday 26 October 2015

Home decor D.I.Y

As you may or may not be aware, I got a sewing machine as part of my dowry for my traditional marriage. A few months ago, I decided to start using it. My first project was to make covers for some throw pillows I got. I got some throw pillows from Orca and Palace on the Spintex road.  I then got some fabric from Da Viva fabrics in the Marina Mall. They have some gorgeous prints there. I watched lots YouTube videos just to learn and I found some very simple tutorials on pillow cases. I then proceeded to make my cases.
They turned out so beautifully a friend asked me to make her some. I did and she loved them.






 


I really enjoyed the process of making something so beautiful and useful by myself.  I, therefore, decided to do more DIY projects for the home. I have collected quite a few magazines for a while now and they were in a mess in my closet. I had long desired to arrange them somehow so I went on the net to find some ideas for storing them. There were so many ideas but I settled on arranging them in baskets. I drove to Cantonments to one of the bamboo weavers and ordered a few baskets according to my specifications. I ordered from a guy known as 'teacher'. Took a day but I picked them up two days later. They turned out really well and fit my mags perfectly. I decided to make some liners for the baskets before actually using then for storage so I went on the 'tube' and found many videos with different levels of complication. I watched a few and got a basic idea of what I was to do. I then got some cotton fabric from Palace supermarket on the Spintex road and made the liners and arranged my magazines.  Turned out beautifully, if I do say so myself. 


 

I want to encourage everyone to take up D.I.Y. It is very relaxing and satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment